WordPress websites are easy ways to gain more visitors as it has a huge number of plugins and some other advantages like Tags. Tags are the words or phrases that resemble the title of the post. For an example, your post title may be:
But, people will not search Google with the above line. Rather, they will search Google by:
The above phrases are called Tags. These tags will be redirected to the posts to which they belong. So, it’s a pretty way to draw visitors to your website. But, you should not use irrelevant tags as it will be punished by Google, placing your website to the bottom of the search result.
In this post, I will discuss about the procedure of deleting tags of a deleted post. Let me explain a little.
Suppose, You wrote a post few months ago. You used some tags in that post. But, for some reasons, you needed to delete it after a few days. But, the tags you used in that post will not be deleted automatically. Rather, they will appear in the search result, misguiding the visitors, who will come to your website and will not see any post regarding the topic. So, they will be annoyed and Google will also punish you. So, you need to delete the unused tags as soon as possible. Here is the procedure:
[This post idea is invented by one of my friends Dr. Toufiq Hassan Shawon, who is also a blogger. You may visit his website BangladeshResult24.com]
1. At first, log in to your WordPress dashboard. Then go to Posts>Tags. You will see something like that:
2. Now, click on Posts situated on the upper right side of the picture. See screenshot below:
3. Now, the tags with 0 posts will come up. If you have a full page of tags like that, you may delete it by following the below steps. Otherwise, you may delete these one by one. Do get the delete option, you have to place the mouse cursor over the tag. Here is how to delete a full page of tags with 0 post count.
After clicking the Posts link in the step 2, you will see the following:
4. Now, mark the box beside Name, to mark all the boxes beside the tags below it. See screenshot:
5. Now, click on Bulk Action box to get the delete option. Select the Delete option. See screenshot:
6. After selecting Delete, click on Apply button. All the tags in that page has been deleted at a time! Isn’t it great?
If you have few tags with 0 post count, you may select individual tags to delete, then follow the procedure from step 5. See screenshot:
Thanks for reading this post.